Sunday, November 28, 2010

What have your hands got to say?



















Take a minute, and look at your hands. What colour are they? How do they feel? What (if anything) is on your fingers?

Prior to coming to Ghana, I never thought much about my hands.. except that I didn't like them. They were too big, somehow not feminine enough. I'd been told they were long and would make me a good pianist- but I still have yet to learn the piano. Apart from being a fast typist on the computer, which helped me in writing papers during University, I never really thought twice about my hands.

On several occasions, I'll greet someone in Ghana and we'll shake hands and then snap together (I'll have to show you this in person). And many a time, the person will remark; "You have such soft hands!"

My host brothers in Wamale often want to just hold my hand or rub my palm because "it is so smooth"..

This post is not to brag about my hands, but to ask; what have your hands got to say? What do your hands say about who you are? What you do? What you can do? What you have done?

If you look at my hands, apart from being big, I have long nails. Mostly because I am not consistent with cutting/filing them, and they grow fast. I have never worn acrylic nails but have almost always had relatively long nails. In Ghana, especially rural Ghana, this shows people that you are wealthy, and that you are not a farmer. Long nails mean you don't do a lot of physical labour, and certainly don't weed, plant, or harvest. You probably don't wash your own clothes or weave baskets or braid hair or wash bowls.. you probably have an office job, "real work"... Some in Ghana, even males, will keep their pinky fingernail long intentionally...

My point; the length of your nails says a lot about your position and lifestyle.

Having soft hands and white, white palms is like icing on an already luxurious cake. Your hands are soft: you probably- no, you definitely!- haven't been washing dishes by hand or scrubbing clothes by hand your whole life. It's clear I've been blessed/spoiled with dishwashers and washer/dryers my whole life in Canada.

And I think it's self explanatory, the perception of you when you have a huge diamond ring on your finger, or even silver ones..

I remember shaking Amos' hands, after he had been working in the mines for several months. They were swollen, with blisters, and almost as rough as sandpaper.. I almost felt embarrassed to shake his, knowing what he would say about mine subsequently.

Just another example of how something so insignificant to me growing up, is now something I am conscious of, almost every time I greet and shake someone's hands.

What do your hands say about you?

5 comments:

  1. My village always smiles at me when I struggle grab the hot nsima out of a bowl. My hand's aren't built for handling hot environments.

    But thanks for posting on this. The identity of a person's work through a person's hands has spanned centuries and cultures. It's always interesting to see wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article, I have been reading hands for many years and can tell so much about a person from the shape, texture, and the lines on the hands.

    The fingers and thumbs also tell so much about your personality, suitability to certain types of work and can point to underling health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinyl replacement windows have become externally popular lately, and for good reason. Vinyl windows help to increase the value of your condo or home and can also enhance the aesthetics and overall look of your property. This type of replacement window is also very easy to install which will make any homeowner proud that they won't have to worry about any headaches trying to replace their windows. Vinyl replacement windows are also an excellent choice compared to metal or wood windows and are far more cost-effective than either of the two. This is why vinyl remains a favorite amongst homebuilders who are looking for a viable and effective option compared to wood or metal windows. replacement windows

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ติดต่อเราที่เดียวจบ เพราะเราเป็นตัวแทนที่มีห้องของ ดีคอนโด แคมปัส รีสอร์ท เชียงใหม่ ( DCondo Campus Resort Chiangmai ) เช่าและขาย ให้เลือกมากมาย หลากหลายแบบ. คอนโดเพื่อการลงทุนเชียงใหม่ ลงทุนคอนโดเชียงใหม่ ซื้อคอนโดปล่อยเช่าเชียงใหม่. ดีคอนโด แคมปัส รีสอร์ท เชียงใหม่ , ดีคอนโด แคมปัส เชียงใหม่ , dcondo campus เชียงใหม่ , ขาย dcondo campus เชียงใหม่ , dcondo campus resort เชียงใหม่ ขาย , เช่า dcondo campus เชียงใหม่ , ให้เช่า ดีคอนโด แคมปัส เชียงใหม่ , ดี คอนโด แคมปัส รีสอร์ท เชียงใหม่ เช่า , เช่า dcondo campus เชียงใหม่ , dcondo campus resort chiangmai for rent , rent dcondo Campus Chiangmai , Dcondo campus resort เชียงใหม่ ขาย , ขาย dcondo campus เชียงใหม่ , dcondo campus resort chiangmai for sale , sale dcondo Campus Chiangmai. ขาย ดีคอนโด แคมปัส รีสอร์ท เชียงใหม่

    ReplyDelete