Friday, September 3, 2010

"Are you fasting?"


Living in a country that is not your own requires a buffet-style approach to dealing with differences that arise.

Having lived in Ghana for over a year now, I still find myself approaching the buffet of options... do I adapt, adopt, or object to this situation?

When you first come, in hopes of "integrating" into the culture, you do a lot of adopting. You observe what others do, and adopt that behaviour. Whether it is the way Ghanaians dress, greet, interact, etc...
But over time, you will definitely come across things you don't want to adopt, and some you may strongly object to. You might encounter reckless driving, sexual harassment, physical abuse, etc.
And then, many times, as a foreigner you chose to adapt. You take what they are doing and make it your own. You can't let compromise, compromise your own values. I am quite happy and comfortable living in Ghana, but that doesn't mean I act completely as every Ghanaian I interact with does, or that I still behave like a 100% Canadian girl...

Take this example. As you may know, I live with a Muslim family and right now is Ramadan- a month of prayer and fasting for Muslims.
Yesterday, a man came into the family compound and was greeting me in Dagbani. I was responding alright, and then he said something I'd never heard before in a greeting. I turned to one of the mummy's beside me- who is fluent in English- and asked what he said. She said, "He asked: "are you fasting?".

I responded: "well... somehow..." And they all laughed.

Typically, I always eat with the family.. whatever they eat, I eat. But during this month they only eat at night, and very early dawn.. the rest of the day they fast. I knew I didn't want to adopt this behaviour, as I am not a Muslim, and I know that in order to be effective at work I need to eat and drink and sleep well. But I didn't want to completely reject what they were doing, and isolate myself (any further). So in the morning "I fast".. when I'm at home and they are not eating, I too do not eat. But when I'm in town working, I eat and drink as I would. Then when I arrive home at night, I wait and eat dinner with them once they break their fast.

In this case, and in many others, I have chosen to adapt cultural practices of Dagombas here in Northern Ghana in a way that lets them know I respect them, but that I am also different, and I need to ensure I am happy and comfortable in Ghana. The longer you're away from your home country, the more conscious you have to be of who you are.. of not losing who you are in the midst of integration, compromise, and adaptability.

Its a delicate balance.. and its all part of this journey I'm on...

1 comment:

  1. This was a really interesting blog post Robin! It's very considerate of you to not eat while they're around, and I bet they really appreciate your effort :) Take care of yourself--it seems like you are!

    Peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete