Monday, March 1, 2010

Oh! the places you go!

As explained in the previous post, my current role in Ghana has required me to travel a great deal throughout this nation, (been to 7 Regions in Ghana), and even beyond these borders briefly.
Instead of providing an in depth summary of my movements, I thought I would write a few key words that come to mind when I think of my time at each of the various places.
Burkina Faso- real fresh amazing yoghurt, baguettes, children dancing and singing, feeling ashamed of my inability to speak French, bathing and sleeping in the open with the sun/moon right above you.
Ohawu Agricultural College- (Volta Region, Ghana)-Eating too much Kenke, huge dam that everyone claims they own, power outages, being aggressively challenged on the relevance and sustainability of EWB's work.
Nigeria- Amazing ice cream parlour that even had banana splits, nicely paved roads and street lights, Western clothing and lifestyles.
Pong Tamale Animal Health and Production College (Vet. College, Northern Region, Ghana)- Sheep everywhere, great food (spaghetti!) and connections with female students, dedicated principal who I know will facilitate transformative change at this college.
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (Kumasi, Ashanti Region, Ghana)- passionate Christian youth worshipping God, beautiful tropical gardens, trees, forests everywhere, coolness!
Bolgatanga (Upper East Region, Ghana)- rastas wanting to "be my friend", great beaded jewellery and vibrant Ghanaian cloth everywhere. Spending too much money.
Kwadaso Agricultural College (Kwadaso, Ashanti Region, Ghana)- lots of cows roaming around, magnificent, enormous trees, projector that didn't work, amazing professors and principal, missing Carissa (past volunteer).
Accra (Greater Accra Region, Ghana)- watching Avatar in an amazing movie theatre while eating popcorn!, Airport- filled with mixed emotional memories, eating too many scoops of real ice cream, packed streets and traffic like you can't imagine, gaining weight.
Tamale (Northern Region, Ghana): friends everywhere I go, a great ("great" as in: wonderful, and as in very large) family, comfort in knowing where to buy things I need and how to get around, riding on my moto, eating dried pineapple, greeting people in Dagbani, great Canadian friends/colleagues.

1 comment:

  1. Heyy Robinn!! so umm i lived in Ghana for most of my life and I've visited like only three of these places (KNUST, Accra, Kwadaso Agric College, and Tamale) Good to know you're having soo much fun over there!!! really miss you! :) Keep enjoying it!!!

    ReplyDelete