Friday, September 11, 2009

Life in Bongo: motos, marriage and more

I am currently staying in the beautiful town of BONGO, in the Upper East Region of Ghana, with Ryan (another OVS. At one point this was where I was going to be placed, but there has been a shift and now my placement will be in Tamale. So I am here in Bongo for the next week to job shadow and learn from Ryan. Yesterday we attended his MoFA District Office's weekly meeting where all AEA's give updates and they discuss pertinent issues. It was great to see the pride they have in the Agriculture as a Business Curriculum (AAB)- Bongo is seen as an "All Star District" where AAB is really flying, and they were all passionate and proud to tell me about AAB in their district and the successes they are seeing with their farmer groups.

It is so beautiful here. Picture this: dirt roads, and all around you green: 15 foot crop fields of millet, huge rocks, grass, animals all around, beautiful Baobab trees- it is just stunning. I don't miss city life at all. Mountains in the distance, sun shining, blue skies and perfectly white, fluffy clouds; it is truly a sight. Its very funny because I can't speak Fra Fra so without Ryan I would be totally helpless. Everywhere we walk people are staring at us, kids yelling "Salaminga" (white person), and after the normal greetings with all the people we pass, his local friends and acquaintances keep asking Ryan if I am his wife- it's a bit awkward because I know everyone is talking about me but don't know what they are saying and I can't respond. It's not too surprising they have questions about us; you don't often see a guy and a girl very close who are "just friends" here- and considering the fact that we're sleeping in the same room, I can't blame them for calling me his wife.
Still, it is very funny- they are so amazed to see the two of us walking through the market- it's like what Megan said- kids stare at you as if they are seeing a unicorn, and its even more entertaining when they see us riding on his moto! Picture this: its 40 degrees, humid, bright sun, beautiful greenery, crop fields, goats, and kids on either side of you, and 2 salamingas flying by on the moto! It's perfection with the breeze on your face- its like Ghanaian air con, the coolest you'll ever feel!)

Tomorrow I head to Abokobise (a-boko bee-see) for my Village Stay so I am very excited to really experience a life that is different from my own. It has been a very nice series of transitions out of my comfort zone. I moved from a beautiful house with my mom in Pickering, to the EWB house in Toronto (read- 20+ volunteers coming and going, crammed in a house with 1 shower), to a nice guest house in Ghana with running water and mattresses, to Ryans place where we "free range" (go to the bathroom out in the fields) and I sleep on the floor. What a great experience this is.

By next weekend I'll be in Tamale to begin my placement officially and I am very excited to start looking for a place to settle down and call my home.

Hope you are all well and enjoying each day as much, or more, as I am.
Love Robin

3 comments:

  1. Hey now... none of that open defecation stuff... the CLTS/WatSan Team would not be pleased.

    Glad to see all is well.

    Cheers!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin,
    I am Ryan's mum, I was reading your blog, and very happy to learn that I have gained a daughter in law, if only for a short time. haha. Good luck on your stay. Keep good health and stay safe. Will remember you in my prayers. Ryan has gained a great friendship in you.
    Enid (Ryan's Mum)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin

    Wow, it sounds absolutely fabulous! Do you know what you will be doing in Tamale when you get there? Also, what is involved with the Village stay? will you still be job shadowing Ryan? Best of luck, I hope you pick up some more Fra Fra before you head out!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete